Saturday, September 8, 2012

Playground DIY Crossfit

So I ran 11 miles last Saturday.  And burned over 1000 calories.  And felt like doing absolutely nothing for the next 5 days!!

The actual run occurred in the early morning hours and felt fantastic.  We averaged about a 10 minute mile - which is faster than my best half marathon time from before - much better.  Took the Eric's Sport Shot before and then the Eric's Sport Ade half through.  Some of the run was following the path of the Edmonds half marathon which I am planning to run 1 week from Sunday gah!

But for the next couple days I was pretty sore, and worn out and just did not feel like working out at all.  I remained somewhat mindful of what I was eating but couldn't even get a push up in.  In my defense, the older two boys started school this week and it was mighty hectic around here.  But I have always found a way to make time in the past.  Oh another excuse is the YMCA was closed.  And we have a giant project that we are working on (details coming soon!) Oh and I just remembered we did a crazy arse workout the day before the 11 mile run.  The Chelsea (go ahead google it!!)
But still, the more you don't work out, the more you don't want to work out!  Which is why I had to call my best workout buddy for a workout today.  Plus I knew she would be up for combining it with a park play date too!

Our workout (courtesy of a quick Google search for "toes to bar WOD") was:
wait, first Eric's SPORT SHOT to get me going!!
then
4 rounds
20 burpees
15 toes to bar
10 handstand push ups

Now my dear friend has had crossfit memberships in the past so she has showed me toes to bar but I have yet to try.  Here is what it is supposed to look like when you are amazingly strong:



And I tried to do one... or two... but then headed to modification time, knees to chest!  It still worked me crazy but I'd like to get them toes to the bar sometime!  We did these on the monkey bars at the park.  Eric gave me some pointers after - to gather strength from all the muscles in your back and your arms.   And to believe you can do it!

Photo cred to my 4 year old - pretty good yah!?

So we did 20 burpees on the grass near the playground, 15 toes to bar (really knees to chest for me) and then 10 pushups with our feet on a bench and we did this 4 times.  The kids were running around the playground or us or both and sometimes joined in on the fun.  I did bribe my 4 year old with candy and money for staying right close to my little guy so that helped.  But we got the workout in and it felt good to be back at it.  It really helps to have support, which is why I am so thankful for the great friends I have around me - but I will save that for another post!

No comments:

Post a Comment