Thursday, November 29, 2012

Seattle Half to the Seattle Full!! Part 1

Can I say it now, I am a marathoner!?
Feels like its stretching the truth a bit.  But I did do it, I completed a marathon.
26.2 miles, yeahhhhhhhhhhh!!

1 year ago I ran the Seattle half marathon - my very first half marathon.  Afterwards I said it was the hardest thing I had ever done (besides childbirth of course!)  It was rainy, wet and cold but I really felt good about it, how I pushed my body and pushed my soul.  And so when I signed up for the full marathon just 10 short days ago, I must have thought:
I'm ready to do that again, but to the next level.  And there is no 3/4 marathon to sign up for so 26.2 miles it was.
Or I had one beer too many and got a little overconfident in my abilities.
Or I was like, its only 30 more dollars for another 13.1 miles, thats the better deal, if I'm going to fork over some money, I should get my money's worth!!
Actually, it was a nice mix of all three of those things.  But I did sign up, and then promptly stayed up all night thinking, what have I done!

I was very nervous - probably from having an only 10 day training program that consisted of
1. drinking a lot of water, including hunniwater!
2. researching how not to chaff
3. finding/testing new shoes
4. develop a way to not lose my mind, or rather lose my mind so I could finish!

But my program went well, in those ten days I:
1. drank lots of hunniwater
2. bought a $1 stick of body glide at the Expo and some underarmor running pants
3. went to fred meyer to buy a new version and a half size bigger of the exact shoe I had been wearing for the last year (the night before the race, I don't recommend - although not many blisters!)
4. downloaded Tina Fey's BossyPants and the End of the Affair read by Colin Firth onto my iphone

And for all my extensive preparations I still had some serious nervousness!  Which could be from:
1. only preparing for 10 days
2. not following the crossfitendurance.com site very closely since I ran the Edmonds Half in September
3. Never having run over 13.1 miles in my life.
4. Really, new shoes right before a race!?

But I reminded myself
1. It's just like running two half marathons, and I've ran 3 already!
2. I will think of it as training for an ultra marathon
3. I am a badass and can do this!!!!
4. God help me!!  no really God help me.

Okay, check the next post for my marathon recap!
http://ericsfitmama.blogspot.com/2012/12/seattle-half-to-seattle-full-part-2.html



No comments:

Post a Comment