Thursday, August 9, 2012

DIY WOD at the Y

Completing crossfit workouts, I imagine, can be about pushing your comfort level just as much as pushing your fitness level.  And so completing DIY WODs in the YMCA can be even more about that.  Today I completed this workout at the YMCA (courtesy of crossfitendurance.com)

Take Eric's Sport Shot
3 Rounds
500m row
8 Power Cleans
12 Burpees


Remember I'm still a total DIY-er so I was a little nervous with the Power Cleans. Eric has shown me how to do Power Cleans at home (btw I always thought it was Power Clings, only one?).  And then I googled them on my phone just to get the technique down before attempting.  Here is a link to the video I watched Mike Burgener: Coaching The Power Clean - YouTube

The racking and the rules and the dangers of free weights always intimidate me.  Thankfully they have these already put together bar weights at the Y (see pic above).  The two row machines are far from the free weights, but I like to do my workouts all in the same area.  Plus the free weight section is always filled with overzealous men that I just don't feel confident/comfortable working out around (again only one?)  So I picked up the bar weight, only the 30 lb - er, and walked it over to the rowing station.  There is just a little space against the wall that is open so I put the bar weight there and that is where I did my burpees too.  

I would like to pretend that I am so confident that I don't worry what I look like and I can just get my workout on like a gym rat.  But I'd rather just have my own little room to work out in all by myself.  I did the power cleans, feeling just a little self conscious.  I suppose this would be one of the reasons you should sign up for a real crossfit session.  Where those crossfit guys can tell you what to do and how important technique is and show you the safe way and get you the right weight - but I'm just too DIY for that!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment