Thursday, August 2, 2012

A five in the morning kind of blog

On vacation and DS2 (age 6) pees the bed.  We are at my parents house - where you can't just throw a towel over it and say go change and get back to bed (I'm not the only one who does that right?!)  So after 40 minutes of stripping the bed and hand washing the down comforter and sponge bathing my son and silently finding new linens in the linen closet right next to sleeping DS4, and remaking the bed I glance over at the clock, 5:00.  And then I lay in bed, eyes open and here I am.

The most frustrating part is before they scooted off to bed, my mom asked them if they used the bathroom and they said yes.  And now with a pee filled pile of sheets in my arms when I ask DS2 if he actually did use the bathroom before bed he says no.  Just like that, just no.  Like earlier when DS1 comes over yelling his brother just punched him in the cheek and so I ask him, 
did you punch him in the cheek?
NO, I didn't do that. 
So what happened?
Well, I punched him the cheek.

These boys left last saturday to hang with the grandparents.  And after 10 days of life without me, I am amazed at who they have become, and not in a good way.  Am convinced we would have an all out Lord of the Flies kind of situation given a complete lack of authority.

My parents have done an amazing job, but these two have been largely left to their own devices.  And literally their own devices, as in watching TV and playing DS at every unsupervised moment.  Am sure this whole experience has been good in many ways for them - like their independence and their friendship as brothers, and their relationship with their grandparents.  But it has enlightened me to the delusions that I hold my kids to! It will just take a little reprogramming to get them from the back talking, lying, manipulative kids they have become to the polite, good decision making, kind hearted, truth telling boys I imagine them to be. 

OK am off back to bed.  My left eye is leaking and I only got 3 hours of sleep the night before.  I think I mistyped earlier by calling this vacation.  I have three of the four kids, including our mr. mayhem, 18 month old DS4 and no real help. Meaning my mom and dad are all - so we are sleeping in in the morning and I am like, well ok.  Too bad DS4 can't play DS or I'd give into it all and let the unsupervising begin.

by the way did get a quick workout in the yard with the kids playing around me:
30 air squats, 15 pushups
30 box jumps, 15 pushups
30 split squats, 15 pushups
30 squats, 15 pushups

did the split squats and the box jumps off the back deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment